Thursday, April 10, 2008

I Heart Garter Stitch

I know, I know. I've heard it all already. Garter Stitch is boring. There is no challenge to Garter Stitch. Garter Stitch is for beginners. And even, Garter Stitch is for "knitting wussies."


I can't help myself. In a beautiful yarn, garter stitch creates a beautiful fabric. And even that annoying curl at the bottom can be taken care of with a row or two of ribbing. (At least I hope so, because I have a lot of curl at the bottom, and only one row of ribbing. I'm definitely relying on the blocking for this one!)

And for me, a person who is undertall for her weight class, simpler is always better. Details at the top of a garment draw the eye up and away from all those troublesome areas down around the middle. Case in point, this will be a sleeveless top, with criss cross straps in the front. From Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer of 2004.

No comments: